Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Time

Hurrying through the holiday shopping crowd, I find myself beginning to wonder about human nature.  This time of year should bring out the best of people but what I saw, wasn't that.  I really like the  movie "It's a Wonderful Life" and I would like for the entire neighborhood to come and gather at my home for a Christmas celebration.   Truth be told, however,  I'm a terrible neighbor. I know it. I probably talk to my neighbors 4 or 5 times a year. I don't know if people have the capacity to come to their neighbors' rescue in a desperate time of need, like it was portrayed in that famous holiday movie.

I was driving in the parking lot at the mall and I was coming to the end of the row as a car driving on the road I was coming to wasn't paying attention and last second saw my car.  I was near stopped and wouldn't have come close to hitting their car, but they weren't paying attention to me so when they did they slammed on their brakes thinking I was going faster than I was.  With their passengers disgruntled, the one in the front passenger seat flipped me off as if it was my fault.  I was the one who saw them, and was stopping because it not only was my responsibility but it's the law.

At another store I was waiting in line to purchase an item as the line moved forward a lady who wasn't previously in line cut directly in front of me.  Normally I would object and demand her social compliance I decided to keep my mouth shut and offer her that in the sake of the holiday.  I really began to be bothered by the hustle and bustle. This kind of action really takes the spirit of the season right out of me.  LOL I distinctly remember thinking to myself  "Oh, I gotta blog about this."

I was laying down last night and I began to remember the song performed by Bing Crosby, "When I'm worried and I can't sleep, I count my blessings instead of sheep... when my bankroll was getting small I think of when I had none at all..." So I tried it.

I remember back some years ago my family had nothing.  We were barely afloat with holes all over our life boat. But I remember a few times we would walk out into our front porch and find an envelope with a little "help" from some anonymous angel.  We never discovered who it was but we appreciated them greatly.

Then just this morning I went to the store and took only a dollar bill with me because I needed to buy some supplies for the meal my wife was preparing, and I turned up about 15 cents short. the cashier reached into his pocket and pulled out a quarter and applied it to my purchase. Then he handed me the 10 cents remaining, and wished me a Merry Christmas!  I handed him back the extra and wished him a Merry Christmas, and explained that didn't belong to me.

I then realized people aren't as lost as I was beginning to believe.  Sure, the entire neighborhood didn't come running to my rescue, but I know that there are some people out there who haven't forgotten what the season means as I was beginning to. So with that, I want to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas! If you don't believe in Christmas for whatever reason then I want to wish you a Wonderful Day Off!

No comments:

Post a Comment